Thursday, March 3, 2011

Begone Unbelief

Begone unbelief, my Savior is near,
And for my relief, will surely appear.
By faith let me wrestle with God in the storm
And help my, my Savior, the faith to adorn.

Though dark be my way, since He is my guide,
'Tis mine to obey and His to provide;
Though cisterns be broken and creatures all fail,
The word He has spoken will surely prevail.

Determined to save, He watched o'er my path,
When Satan's blind slave, I sported with death;
And can He have taught me to trust in His name,
And thus far have brought me, to put me to shame?

Why should I complain of want or distress,
Temptation or pain, He told me no less:
The heirs of salvation, I know from His word,
Through much tribulation must follow their Lord.

Since all that I meet will work for my good,
The bitter is sweet, the medicine food.
Though painful at present, will cease before long,
And then, O how glorious, the conqueror's song!

-John Newton

No comments:

Post a Comment