Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Snail Mail

I love snail mail. There is nothing better - ok, maybe there are a few things better, but that's not the point - than receiving an envelope with your name and address in the middle. Whenever I see the mail sprawled across our hardwood floors (we have a mail slot in our door, so mail time is never very tidy) my heart beats in anticipation that perhaps sometime last week or a few days ago, someone took the time to carve each letter of my name, spend 44 cents on a stamp, and slide it into a mail bin just for me! It feels like Christmas opening that envelope and the grin on my face probably does match that of a 4 year old. Then comes the excitement of the card itself - florals, stripes, a silly picture, hand made, black and white, ribbon, the possibilities are endless, you never know what you are getting. (p.s. this one cracks me up!)
(Thank you TJ for sharing)


And then the sweetest moment of all - curling up and reading. I find it mandatory to sit, preferably legs tucked underneath, no distractions when reading these words. Writing takes longer than typing, so someone put time and thought into crafting and formulating diction meant for me. I just soak it in. Sure, E-mail is great, it's efficient, easy, to the point. But snail mail is special. It's intentional, thoughtful, slow, meaningful, personal. The experience of snail mail makes me smile.

And in case you need a Father's Day snail mail card idea, check this guy out - easier than it looks, I promise.

(Instructions: http://www.marthastewart.com/265595/folded-shirt-card)

No comments:

Post a Comment